Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:50:23 -0500
If he ever wants to have an air compressor, arc welder, dust collector, air
conditioner, shop heater, good lighting, high quality woodworking machinery,
exhaust fans, etc., he is going to want have have plenty of power available. The
installation cost difference between 100 and 200 amp service is negligible, but
it is very difficult to upgrade after you discover that you need more capacity,
but virtually nothing is wasted if you have extra capacity. (Take this from
someone who made the mistake of putting in only 100 amp service when I built my
24x48 shop 15 years ago.)

Mike

Lee Daniels wrote:

> This question is from a friend... I wish it were from me!  He just built
> a 60x40 shop (professionally-installed insulated metal building) and is
> getting ready to bring the power in from the pole.  The utility company
> asked whether he wanted 100- or 200-amp service (I assume that this is
> at 220V).  He doesn't use heavy equipment --- he mostly does restoration
> work on antique furniture.  What's the scoop?
>
> thanks -Lee
>
>    Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
>    daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
>    http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see
a fine picture and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, poet, dramatist, novelist, and philosopher
(1749-1832)

///
///