Re: Lathe question forwarded

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <Hlsinger@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Lathe question forwarded
From: "Neil Sherry" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:59:03 +0100
I would say that the bed should be levelled (ie straightened) first - the
taper could be caused by the headstock being out of true with the bedway.
Before touching that (or doing any trial turnings) I would ensure that the
bed of the machine was level
 I installed and set up a lathe in my first job after college - admittedly
it was longer than the average (16 feet between centres) but there was lots
of movement in the bed. The only way to straighten it was to get it level in
both directions (along and across the bed), the adjustment being on the
piers that supported the bed every three or four feet along. I used the
'best' level (we had another 'daily' one for general machine set-ups). I
don't know its accuracy but it was about 18 inches long and only came out
for special occasions!

Neil