RE: Lathe question forwarded

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lathe question forwarded
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:28:37 -0700
Fred :

They're not kidding, but with a HF lathe I doubt you'll be able to tell the
difference.  A good carpenter's level should be good enough.  If you can find a
library that carries it, there have been some good articles in Home Shop
Machinist about lathe leveling, and other means of getting your lathe as
accurate as possible.  Or, any decent book on how to setup and operate a lathe
should have leveling instructions.  Lindsay books ( http://www.lindsaybks.com )
has a nice variety of reprints at very modest prices.  "How to Run a Lathe" by
South Bend is one good choice.

For more info, ask on news:rec.crafts.metalworking .  Lots of good (and some
not so good <g>) machinists hang out there.

Randall