Re: stuff growing under my house

To: John Miller <johnm@ims.com>
Subject: Re: stuff growing under my house
From: JGN <jgn@li.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:01:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, John Miller wrote:

> JNiolon@uss.com writes:
> > My question...#1 what is this stuff growing on my floor joists and how do I
> > treat it to kill/neutralize/get rid of it.   I would imagine that it is
> > doing some type of damage and should be eliminated.   #2  what else should
> > I do to eliminate the moisture problem under the house

Your corrective measures might be preventing the spread of whatever mold
or fungus, but why would they eliminate what was already there?  Fill up a
spritzer bottle or deck sprayer with mostly bleach and spray it all down.
This should kill whatever is there.  It might even clean it up some.

Also - the tarps on the ground might not be such a good idea, since you
are trapping moisture underneath.  The fan is a good idea and you might
consider having it run all the time until the situation is improved.
You might have too many vents - you want cross ventilation, and not
the air preferentially being exhausted close to the fan and more
stagnant air at the far end.  Also, lose the tarps.

John