Re: Fancy mechanic's gloves

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fancy mechanic's gloves
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@kns.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:32:57 -0400
epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:
> I use the "Mechanix" brand gloves and I love them.  I used to not wear any
> gloves while working.  But I pick up a set when I need to do a brake job
> "warm".  I've been using them since.

I have several pairs of the Mechanix gloves.  In the large size they fit
tight, which makes the dexterity pretty good.  I can actually pick up
some things with the gloves that I can't without... the somewhat
suede-like finger surface gives better traction.

Unfortunately, to give good dexterity, the fingers are pretty thin, and
I wear through them pretty quickly.  The rest of the glove is fine, but
there are holes on the pointer finger and thumb.  This makes for a nasty
surprise when you pull off the hot cat.

I keep one pair very clean, then I have one pair I use for hot parts
(fingers intact)  The other gloves I keep around because they do a
wonderful job of protecting hands from many small injuries.

Never have tried nitrile gloves.  Tried latex gloves, and they seem to
dissolve with most of the stuff you're trying to keep off of your
hands.  Defeats the purpose.

> FWIW, my are totally grease soaked and I'm getting ready to wash them.  I
> figured it wouldn't be a good idea to wash them in the "house" washer and

I have washed my Mechanix gloves in the house washer.  I combine about a
cup of gojo with a normal sized cup of detergent.  Does a very good job,
especially if I put the gloves on first and "wash my hands" with the
gojo.  Can sometimes leave some junk in the washer, so I wash dirtiest
stuff first, then the less dirty, and always finish up with my clean
shop towels, which get all the rest of the junk out.  A dedicated washer
and dryer would be really nice.

Most often, though, I do like most everyone else... leave the gloves on
the shelf and wash my hands afterwards.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster