RE: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: "'Dave Williams'" <dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us>,
Subject: RE: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: "Kent Sullivan" <kentsu@corvairkid.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:58:08 -0700
Dave Williams said:

>  As fewer and fewer people have basic metalworking skills, such skills
> become more valuable.  There is only one welding shop in my town now.
> You used to be able to take small jobs anywhere and have them done for a
> few bucks.  Now it costs you $20 for the only guy in town to strike an
> arc - $50 if he uses TIG.

Isn't that the truth! The guy who welded the panels on my latest restoration
project (http://www.corvairkid.com/610767001602.htm) is so amazing. His
welds are perfect every time. And he makes it look so easy: no wasted
effort.

Brian Nordby is the person I'm speaking of. We're in Seattle. He also has
that rare skill of being proficient with an English wheel
(http://metalcrafttools.com/engwheel.html). I hope he and the others who
know how to use these tools "bring up" the next generation so that the art
is not lost.

--Kent