Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: Kent Sullivan <kentsu@corvairkid.com>
Subject: Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:48:25 -0600

Kent Sullivan wrote:

> Dave Williams said:
>
> >  As fewer and fewer people have basic metalworking skills, such skills
> > become more valuable.  There is only one welding shop in my town now.
> > You used to be able to take small jobs anywhere and have them done for a
> > few bucks.  Now it costs you $20 for the only guy in town to strike an
> > arc - $50 if he uses TIG.
>
> Isn't that the truth! The guy who welded the panels on my latest restoration
> project (http://www.corvairkid.com/610767001602.htm) is so amazing. His
> welds are perfect every time. And he makes it look so easy: no wasted
> effort.
>
> Brian Nordby is the person I'm speaking of. We're in Seattle. He also has
> that rare skill of being proficient with an English wheel
> (http://metalcrafttools.com/engwheel.html). I hope he and the others who
> know how to use these tools "bring up" the next generation so that the art
> is not lost.

Speaking of artisans, I believe this URL:

http://www.armageddonforge.com/pictures.html

is for a guy I knew in Michigan years ago (his shop, then, was in Hart,
MI, I think), and he does some amazing metalworking. Does a lot of work
for people in the Society for Creative Anachronism. Showed me a helmet
he'd made for someone, entirely out of one sheet of stainless without
cutting it into any more pieces... and included a snap-up riveted visor.
Rivets were formed as the piece was worked and only when it was done was
the visor detached from the main workpiece. Now that I have a current
address for him, I suppose I should write and ask if he ever did a
stainless steel body for his Austin-Healey 3000, as he was contemplating
in 1979. (!)

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter