Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:14:20 -0500

Nolan said.....

I'd add to that, just start laying weld beads on a flat piece of bar stock.
Don't try to join two pieces of
metal just yet, simply work on a solid piece .  That lets you focus better.

I agree... I took a course at local tech school...  first 4 nites in lab we
did nothing but flat smooth welds on  bar stock.  Good technique builder...
and something you'll need someday if you ever have to build up a piece to
machine down.

It's amazing how hard it is sometimes to lay down beads side by side with
"some" uniformity.   I'm still working for that bead that looks like a roll
of dimes layed out on the metal

another beginner tip.... start with a rod like a 7024... good rod for
beginners... hard to stick... you can just drag and weld till you get the
feel of the machine, metal and technique... then as you begin to feel
comfortable with your weld angle, gap and speed you can move to 7018 and
others that aren't as forgiving as the 7024... also start and get good with
flat stuff before you ever consider vertical and overhead...

john