Re: Question about TIG

To: Bill Ruof <1953xk@home.com>
Subject: Re: Question about TIG
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:56:37 -0700
Bill Ruof wrote:

> I have to add my two cents.
Thanks, the more minds on the problem, the more I learn.

> Spatter is little BB's of metal.  If you are getting a buildup of small
> discrete balls of metal one possibility is that you are overcooking your
> weld pool.  The arc and the weld pool should be very smooth.  No sparks or
> flying metal.
Too much amperage, not enough torch movement?

> Take care not to contaminate the tungsten.  Once you dip it in the weld pool
> or jam the filler against it you've contaminated it and you will start to
> get a buildup and degradation.  Snapping off the contaminated part is OK but
> you still want to grind to shape it.  It is best to grind with a freshly
> dressed wheel.  Make sure you have a good point to start.
Think I've been doing this part right.  Well, not a freshly dressed
wheel.
What kind of tool do I use to dress a grinding wheel?
Can I use a sander instead of a grinder to get a finer finish on the
point?

> Folks were also dead on the money about being sure that you are using the
> right filler.  Gas fillers have LOTS of deoxidizers and result in an
> overactive weld pool if used for TIG welding.  Trim your filler after a stop
Ahhh....didn't know that.

> and make sure it stays under the gas shielding while you're welding.  If you
> pull it out from the shielding while you're welding it will oxidize.  When
> you run that oxidized metal in, you destabilize the pool and the arc.
I'll watch this part of the process.  I'm aware that the gas has to
shield
the weld but I do pull the filler out of the gas envelope.

> The base metal probably isn't the problem if it is ground to bright metal.
> You have to make sure to get out any pitting too.
>
> If all else fails recheck your gas lines and fittings to make sure you
> aren't drawing in any air along the way.
>
> Welding is SO much fun.
I think any metal working is fascinating.  And amazing when done by
someone
who knows what they're doing.  Unfortunately I'm still a bit too far
down
in the hierarchy of metal working skills.  But I'm getting better.

Thanks!
Steve Shipley