Re: Question about TIG

To: dhl@chelseamsl.com
Subject: Re: Question about TIG
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:16:16 -0700
Donald H. Locker wrote:

> I would guess insufficient gas flow.
I think I'm consuming enough (20CFH), I'm wondering if
I'm holding the torch too far away from the work.

You are using the correct gas
> (argon) and DCEN (straight polarity), right?
Yes, I'm confident that the machine is set correctly,
and I'm using the correct consumables.

  I also recall that
> snapping off the tungsten can generate internal cracks that don't show
> and affect the arc stability.  Either grind off back over the bad
> stuff, or grind the tungsten off where you would have snapped it, or
> cut it with an appropriate BigFatSnipper.
Hmmm....I just read that I should have a sander or grinder dedicated
to the tungsten electrodes.  That's part of the process that I can
improve. And I'll have to elect a tool to the position of BigFatSnipper.

> Old clean metal should be very much like the new stuff, only older.
I'm still somewhat suspicious of older metal.  My best welds have been
on new steel.  I was hoping someone would warn me about microscopic
(or at least real hard to see) contaminants that remain on the surface
even after the steel has been ground back to bright metal.

> Try running beads without filler on test coupons to get the feel.
> It's much like running oxy-acetylene, but with control of the heat and
> much brighter.
It's sweet when it's right.

I never learned to gas weld.  I bought the TIG so I wouldn't have to
deal with the gas torch and I find that the TIG introduces a few more
variables.  It's still a better system as I've been able to do more than
I ever was able to do with gas.

But since I ignored the advice to learn gas first, and get some proper
instruction, I'm paying the price.

Next project requires some fabrication with new 22 guage steel before I
attach it to vintage steel.  I'll watch the electrode preparation and
the way I'm holding the torch.  Think I have a variety of errors in my
technique and preparation.  At least this time I'll be able to see how
the metal being welded affects my (current/lack of?) technique.

And.....since it's obvious I need some proper practice....I'll run some
beads on the scrap before I continue to fabricate!

Thanks!
Steve Shipley