RE: The Rodent Report......

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Rodent Report......
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:48:15 -0500
Well, there is no doubt that the cats would be the best solution.  Failing
that (if you don't like cats)  The next thing would to make the barn NOT a
very good place to nest.  If you have hay bales and such in there, remove
them.

The truck has it's own issues.  There are 2 main "entrances" to the
vehicles engine that the rodents will go for.
The air cleaner and the exhaust.  The exhaust is easy, make some sort of
metal "cap" for it or use the steel wool in it.

Now, the air cleaner is another problem.  These are some times plastic and
the rodent can easily chew a hole in it.  If it's an older metal style, you
should be fine (except the little "arm" of the round cleaner)  Again, a cap
or steel wool should help.

Now, the real problem of the car is the interior.  My neighbors minivan has
had about 4 "rat attacks" on it already.  Note, this is a DAILY use new
style van! I'm very lucky to have my garage made out of masonry and that
keeps them out of there (and out of all my toys)

They can enter a cab is MANY places.  I don't know what to recommend. Maybe
leaving the windows open would allow any predatory easy access to the
rodents.

Good Luck

inch

>Gerald Brazil summarized:
>> A few weeks ago I asked this group for ideas to discourage rodents from
>> taking up residence in my rusty red pickup truck when I store it for 6
>> months or so at our Little House on the Prairie. Well, it may be a
>> testimony
>> to the general affluence of the group and their lack of familiarity with
>> rodents, but I didn't really get much. Certainly not like the response
I'd
>> get if I asked the group for information about parts washers or phones
in
>> the shop. But anyway, thanks to those of you who did contribute.
>>
>> I will summarize the most important recommendations:
>> 1) Many large feral cats.......this would be effective, but I find cat
pee
>> almost as offensive as rodents.
>> 2) Snakes.....I've already got those, but they take the winter off.
>> 3) Shaving a bar of Irish Spring soap all around the area. Probably the
>> most
>> unusual idea offered. I wonder what is magical about Irish Spring?
(maybe
>> the guy suggesting it was English?) Anyway, it is cheap and worth a try.
>>
>> No one offered any opinions on the technique of leaving the hood open.
I'd