Re: shop lift recommendations?

To: erik@midwestfilter.com
Subject: Re: shop lift recommendations?
From: randell s Kegg <rkegg@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:56:39 -0500
I used to work on cars for a living, and have used all types. I built a
new garage a couple of years ago and decided to buy a lift.

 I did a lot of research before purchasing it, So for what it's worth:

No matter whether you choose a 2 or 4 post lift, there will be some
compromises.

2-post Lift
----------------
- For purely service work, a 2-post is probably better. The wheels hang
free. There are a few service tasks that a 4 post lift is better for.
- Takes up more width than a 4 post lift.
- The car is not quite as stable as on a 4 post, but its okay.
- You must drill holes in the garage floor. You will need a minimum of  a
4 inch reinforced slab. (6 inches is better)
- If you buy a 2 post, get the assymetric variety, so that you can open
the car door while the car is on the lift.
- You can't store one car under the other.

4-post Lift
----------------
- A 4 post lift is good for storage of one car over another.
- No holes need to be drilled in the concrete. A 4 - post lift can be
rolled around the garage, if needed.
- Some service tasks are better , like muffler work.
- If you buy a 4-post, buy jack bridges, so that you can jack the wheels
up off of the ramps. (these are steel platforms that fit between the
ramps.)

Now, the standard distance between the ramps on a 4-post lift is 45
inches. If you work on American cars or trucks, that spacing is fine. If
you work on small sports cars, (british, italian, etc.), then you will
have a problem. I have a 4 post backyard Buddy Hydraulic lift. I had them
custom make the lift with spacing of 39 inches between the ramps. They
charged me an extra $100.00 to do the custom work. I am quite satisfied
with the lift.

Good Luck !

Randy Kegg