general wrench question

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: general wrench question
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 01:03:20 -0400
oh great minds:

in looking for a wrench set, why is it that no one makes 6 point wrenches
in sizes over 1 inch?  sockets too, for that matter.  I can find almost
anything I want in 12 point, but if I want 6 point, less than 1 inch, or
smaller, sometimes.  the local tool truck guys have no answer.

my theory(s):

a) wrench makes assume that the larger size bolts/nuts will be made of
high(er) grade material, and that a 12 pointer won't strip it, or,

b) 12 point offers greater range of access in tough to reach spots, or,

c) 6 point doesn't sell.

I think 'a' above is out (at least for me), 'cause most every bolt/nut on
my older cars and bikes seems to be made of a strange butter/steel alloy.
 the bigger ones seem to be torqued down more, exacerbating the need for a
6 point tool.  admittedly, I'm trying to restore a rusty brit car, but
geez!  I'm about to look up the maker of p.b. blaster to see if I can buy
stock, and if I can buy it buy the pallet.

and 'b' would fit on wrenches, you gotta get at the fastener any way you
can.  but sockets spin on ratchets, so you can get any degree access you
want.  someone may mention breaker bars, but that's why god created
craftsman ratchets and the inviolable guarantee.

okay, I admit it, it's late and this isn't really up there with 'why are we
here?', but this is what I think about at 1:00 a.m. when I can't sleep.  is
that so _wrong_?

eagerly awaiting enlightenment,

scott