Re: general wrench question

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: general wrench question
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:35:44 -0700
Hi all,

SK makes a full set of 6 pt sockets from 3/8" - 1
1/2" in 1/2" drive -- here's the url for tool
shack's listing:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk99070.html

I agree with the previous post about tool
producers believing that with the larger
nuts/bolts, head stripping is not a problem.  SK
only makes 12 point sockets for their 3/4" drives.

As far as I can tell, SK does not make any 6 point
fractional end wrenches larger than 15/16".  I
think it would be pretty awkward using a large 6
point end wrench in any tight locations -- you
would only get 6 positions on a full turn, and in
many situations, 12 positions are not enough
(e.g., you need to turn the wrench upside down to
use the head offset in order to turn the nut an
extra increment so you can flip it over again to
get another grab).

I have no associations with the company listed
here other than I have bought a good many SK tools
from them.  They have a good selection, fair
prices and do not charge sales tax unless you are
in Nevada.  With the 8.25% sales tax here in LA,
not paying it pays for the shipping.

Good luck!

doug