Re: general wrench question

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: general wrench question
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:33:34 -0400
Scott Hall wrote:
> in looking for a wrench set, why is it that no one makes 6 point wrenches
> in sizes over 1 inch?  sockets too, for that matter.  I can find almost
> anything I want in 12 point, but if I want 6 point, less than 1 inch, or
> smaller, sometimes.  the local tool truck guys have no answer.

My guess would be that with the larger sizes, there is a larger amount
of material that would need to be moved to round the edges, so there
isn't as much need for a six point socket.

Think of it this way... with a 1/2" fastener head, there is only a
little bit (couple grams) of metal on the points with which to turn
the fastener.  However, on a 1" fastener, there is a whole bunch more
metal (maybe an ounce or so) so it's just a safety in numbers kinda
thing.

Of course, if you're dealing with the butter/steel alloys... I don't
know what to tell you!

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com