Good workbench?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Good workbench?
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:17:00 -0500

-> Anyone have any better suggestions?  I was just going to buy it, but
-> it didn't seem wise to do without consulting the collective wisdom of
-> this list.

 I made my own.  4x4 legs, 2x4 framing, 1" chipboard tops.  Came out as
two 8' long, 24" deep benches with storage shelves underneath.  I put
several coats of polyurethane varnish on to protect them from oily gunk,
then used truck mud flaps (coincidentally 24" wide...) as work surfaces.

 Whichever way you go, it helps to attach the bench to the wall with
some angle brackets.  Even with several engine blocks and transmissions
on the shelves underneath mine, I could move them around when getting
crazy with the vise.