Re: Good workbench?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good workbench?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:11:39 -0400
At 02:36 PM 7/28/99 -0400, Chris Heerschap wrote:

>I'm looking to get a workbench for the shop.  I want to get drawers
>and a
>top strong enough for mounting a heavy 5" vise.  What I've been
>looking
>at right now is the Craftsman:
>
>       http://shop.sears.com/sears/65050.jpg ($169 base, $99 steel top)
>       http://shop.sears.com/sears/10383.jpg ($229)
>       http://shop.sears.com/sears/10388.jpg ($329)
>
>They all seem to have about what I'm looking for... there are a couple
>others, but this is the general jist of what I'm looking for.
>
>Anyone have any better suggestions?  I was just going to buy it, but
>it didn't seem wise to do without consulting the collective wisdom of
>this list.

Chris,

   Must be nice to have that much money to throw away.  I made mine from
2x4s and 1/2" plywood.  I built a 2x4 rectang. frame and put cross stringer
in it to support the load.  Then put 2x4 legs on it.  You should be able
to do the hole thing for about $30.   I mounted my 5" vice on the front
left corner and put an additional 2x4 support under the table top.  So
far no problems.

  I also have made several hanging shelves that hang from my finished
ceiling in the garage.  Also several free standing shelves for the shed
the same way.  I usually take the 1/2" plywood sheet and cut it in half
so I have 2 pieces 2' x 8'.  Then build the frame to support it.  While
this is NOT optimun depth for a shelf or workbench, it does give me 2
layers of shelfing.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org