Re: Removing a drill chuck

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing a drill chuck
From: Scott Whitehead <swhiteh3@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:43:36 -0400
> > Stick the short end of a 1/4" or larger allen wrench in the chuck and
> > tighten it down.  Next, get a soft hammer or piece of wood and hit the long
> > end.  This will loosen the chuck so you can remove it by hand.

I've seen this done with an impact gun.  Put the drill in a
vise.  Clamp a 1/2" or 3/8" drive hex bit/key in the chuck,
and use the impact gun to loosen it.  Works like a charm!!
:)

If you don't have a hex bit set, any 1/2" or 3/8" drive
screw driver bit usually has a hex shaft that you can clamp
the chuck onto.  Good Luck!

Scott Whitehead
88 IT-E Mustang GT
98 F-150 Flare Side