Re: Removing a drill chuck

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing a drill chuck
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:54:20 -0400
Bedard, Justin wrote:
> Stick the short end of a 1/4" or larger allen wrench in the chuck and
> tighten it down.  Next, get a soft hammer or piece of wood and hit the long
> end.  This will loosen the chuck so you can remove it by hand.

This reminded me of a similar question which I have.  I have a Makita
drill which has a 3/8" keyed chuck.  I also have a 1/2" chuck which
will fit it, but I'm not exactly sure how to take the current chuck
off.  There seems to be a T-40 Torx screw in the bottom of the chuck,
but I'm not sure how exactly I should hold the shaft so I can turn the
screw.

So far it has not been a problem, but I'd like to be able to make the
change if I have to.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com