Re: Silencing noisy air ratchets?

To: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: Silencing noisy air ratchets?
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:08:46 -0400
Chuck Rothfuss wrote:
>   Depending on where your exhaust is located on the ratchets you may be able
> to use the system I use on my die grinders.  They have a rear exhaust
> outlet, so it's easy to slip an old piece of bicycle inner tube over the end
> and hold it on with a nylon wire tie.  A length of permanently installed
> hose on the grinders allows the inner tube to stay attached, since a male
> quick disconnect fitting is exposed at their open end.  This keeps noise
> down, but also keeps oil and cold air from the exhaust off your hands.  This
> is especially nice in the winter when working in a cold garage.

Thanks!  I'll have to give that a try.

One thought... if you controlled the length of the tube just right, you
could change that nasty high-pitched squeal into a farting sound... an
inner tube isn't that far from a whoopie cushion! :D

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap, UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:heerschap@eng.kns.com