Silencing noisy air ratchets?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Silencing noisy air ratchets?
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:16:25 -0400
Quick question, and please speak up when you reply cuz I'm a little
hard of hearing now. ;D

I have I-R 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets.  (models 103 and 107) They work
like champs, and are very handy, but they're BLOODY LOUD.  I guess
it's mostly a function of the fact that they are air powered, but I
was wondering if there is any way to quiet them down.  One thing I've
tried in the past is wrapping a rag around their outlets, which does
work, but I was wondering if anyone else has any good ideas.  My ears
aren't all that good to begin with and I really don't need the extra
auditory abuse.  yes.. I do have earplugs, and use them often.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com