Re: Silencing noisy air ratchets?

To: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silencing noisy air ratchets?
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:51:10 -0400
Chris,

  Depending on where your exhaust is located on the ratchets you may be able
to use the system I use on my die grinders.  They have a rear exhaust
outlet, so it's easy to slip an old piece of bicycle inner tube over the end
and hold it on with a nylon wire tie.  A length of permanently installed
hose on the grinders allows the inner tube to stay attached, since a male
quick disconnect fitting is exposed at their open end.  This keeps noise
down, but also keeps oil and cold air from the exhaust off your hands.  This
is especially nice in the winter when working in a cold garage.

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC