Re: Electrical Outlets

To: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Outlets
From: GCOLUMBO <GCOLUMBO@Prodigy.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:54:11 -0800
Tim Mullen wrote:

> I have a questions for all the knowledgeable list members.
>
> I have always installed standard three prong 110V outlets with
> the ground "hole" on the bottom.  It seemed pretty much standard
> and universal to me.  Now I'm working in a newly constructed,
> large building, and all the outlets (except the sideways ones)
> are mounted with the ground prong opening oriented towards the
> top.
>
> The question is; Is there a standard?  Is there a "de-facto"
> standard because it been the custom for many years?  Or is it
> random, and I never noticed?
>
> Tim Mullen - It's the small things that I always get me...

There is no standard...even in the 1996 National Electric Code.  Most
electricians I have talked to prefer the ground (single hole up).  The
resoning is that if something metal should fall and hit the plug the
ground would be first hit, thus reducing the chance of shock when
retrievong the object.  On sideway mounts it it recommended the long
slot (Common) be placed up - for the same reason.

I personnaly prefer the Ground (Single hole) down.

    George in San Diego