Electrical Outlets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Outlets
From: Tim Mullen <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:26:38 -0500
I have a questions for all the knowledgeable list members.

I have always installed standard three prong 110V outlets with
the ground "hole" on the bottom.  It seemed pretty much standard
and universal to me.  Now I'm working in a newly constructed,
large building, and all the outlets (except the sideways ones)
are mounted with the ground prong opening oriented towards the
top.

The question is; Is there a standard?  Is there a "de-facto"
standard because it been the custom for many years?  Or is it
random, and I never noticed?

Tim Mullen - It's the small things that I always get me...