compressor noise, mounting. et all

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: compressor noise, mounting. et all
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:45:29 -0600
--0__=LtjWJIkwcVOr4BBN9eTcVGS04BEGICk8Euc20ZKbTxqngjI1RN2r2u8i

been reading the posts on the compressor stuff... I have a 80 gal/5hp
compressor that I kept in the shop for a long time.
Too much noise, hard to drain, too much wasted space.    finally just drug
it around back of the shop.... mounted it (6" lag bolts) to two crossties
approx 5 feet long... sitting on the ground and used the "TIP" plan for
plumbing the shop.  Made a rain shield sloped roof over the
compressor/motor/safety disconnect.   and let her rip..  In the shop I have
to listen to see if it starts up when I throw switch.

No noise...... more room...... drain to the ground.....only drawback is an
occasional wasp nest under the roof.  But, the 20 foot spray wasp killer
takes care of that

Why worry so much about the weather ???  it's steel and cast iron and
painted .   The rain can't hurt the tank.  My only concern lately is the
cold weather affecting oil thickness.... Thinking about using some heat
trace around the crankcase of the compressor and  pull the feed off the
disconnect where the compressor is wired in...  should keep the oil nice
and warm during the winter  (self regulating trace to be used)    total
cost  $ 4.00 for the lag bolts and the cost of wiring/ plumbing the shop...
$75.00  for the parts I did not have

my 2
--0__=LtjWJIkwcVOr4BBN9eTcVGS04BEGICk8Euc20ZKbTxqngjI1RN2r2u8i

=A2

john
=

--0__=LtjWJIkwcVOr4BBN9eTcVGS04BEGICk8Euc20ZKbTxqngjI1RN2r2u8i--