Compressor sound

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compressor sound
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:54:06 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Landaiche

>Well, I am really trying to eliminate the noise from the compressor without
>building a room outside of the garage. So I'm open to suggestions. Those
who
>do build an outside closet must provide some ventilation. Are there any
>guidelines for that? Can the ventilation in an in-garage closet be sound
>baffled in some way. What do you shop-talkers think?

On the dampening of sound,  I once asked my friend in the field of audilogy
about materials to use for such purposes . . .  He corrected my ideas which
were somewhat confused  with heat insulation and reminded me that it's
density that dampens sound . . lead sheet is good!  I'm interested in
something dense, fireproof and cheap . . .Maybe some of this "cement board"
that's used to back plaster and tile would be good.

Tony
(Asphalted felt is fantastic but burns like crazy)