RE: Ingersoll-Rand 108 vs. 2131 impact wrenches

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Ingersoll-Rand 108 vs. 2131 impact wrenches
From: "Lin, Gary" <Gary.Lin@wang.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:10:51 -0500
Mike, as J Mills pointed out, 8-3/4 lbs. is a heck of a lot heavier =
than
4-1/2.  Think about hefting that baby around even for a set of lugs,
notwithstanding possibly lying on your back trying to hold it above =
your
head.

Gary Lin     Burke, VA     Metro Washington Council of Sports Car Clubs
BMW CCA National Capital Ch.   '88 325is <CSP>   '89 Accord <HS>

Mike wrote:
> Anyway, I was leaning towards the IR2131, which is a 1/2" wrench, and =
600
> ft. lbs.
> The price is pretty good, at $162, and I think the last time it was
> discussed,
> this wrench got a pretty good review from you guys.
>=20
> However, I recently spied an IR tool bundle for sale: an IR 252 3/8"
> rachet and
> IR 108 3/4" impact wrench for only $180.  Now, I don't have any 3/4"
> sockets,
> but I figure I can always simply leave on a 3/4-1/2 adaptor (is that
> safe?),
> and this impact boasts a much higher torque rating (750 ft lb...)
>=20
> 3/4" AIR IMPACT WRENCH
>   Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand=20
>   Drive: 3/4"
>   Torque range:100 to 500 ft. lbs.=20
>   Blows per minute: 1200
>   No load speed: 6500 RPM=20
>   Bolt capacity: 1''=20
>   Average air consumption: 7.5 CFM=20
>   Air inlet: 3/8"
>   Minimum hose size: 1/2"
>   Tool weight 8-3/4 lbs.=20
>   Full power in reverse; 3 position adjustable power forward
>   750 ft. lbs. maximum torque
>   Handle exhaust
>   Lightweight and easy to operate
>   Oil bath lubrication for long life
>=20
> 3/8" AIR RATCHET WRENCH
>   Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand
>   Drive: 3/8"
>   Maximum torque: 50 ft. lbs.=20
>   Torque range: 10 to 45 ft. lbs.
>   No load speed: 150 RPM
>   Standard bolt capacity: 3/8"
>   Average air consumption: 4 CFM=20
>   Air inlet: 1/4"
>   Minimum hose size: 5/16"
>   Tool weight: 2-1/2 lbs.=20
>   Ball and needle bearing construction for long service life
>   Up to 50 ft. lbs. of torque
>   Rear exhaust directs air away from your work
>   Variable speed throttle
>=20
> 1/2" AIR IMPACT WRENCH
>   Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand 2131=20
>   Drive: 1/2"
>   Maximum torque: 450 ft. lbs. forward, 600 ft. lbs. reverse=20
>   Torque range: 50-400 ft. lbs.=20
>   Impacts: 1250 BPM=20
>   No load speed: 9500=20
>   Air inlet: 1/4" NPT=20
>   Overall length: 6-7/8"=20
>   Tool weight: 4-1/2 lbs.
>   Shipping weight: 5 lbs.
>     This innovative design muscles out 600 ft. lbs. of reversing =
torque in
>     wrench only 4-1/2 lbs. Long life high power twin hammer design. =
Strong
>     and light composite housing.=20
>=20
> And to wet your whistle.......
> 1/2" SUPER DUTY HIGH POWERED AIR RATCHET WRENCH
>   Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand
>   Model Number: 1099
>   Drive: 1/2''
>   Maximum torque: 60 ft. lbs.
>   Torque range: 10 to 60 ft. lbs.
>   No load speed: 250 RPM
>   Standard bolt capacity: 3/8"
>   Average air consumption: 4 CFM
>   Air inlet: 1/4" NPT
>   Recommended hose size: 5/16"
>   Tool weight: 3 lbs.
>     Handles large bolts and fasteners. 360=B0 rotational exhaust. =
Push