Re: Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:41:43 -0500
I recently got the IR 2131 from HF through their Inside Track deal for
$159.  Really good price for a DAMN good gun.  The only problem I have
with it?  Too powerful.  It's my first and only air tool (still need
the ratchets, etc) and I can only use it for a small part of a job...
it's just too fast and powerful for anything else.  Disassembly is a
breeze, though!

How powerful is it?  In order to take off wheel lugs (torqued to 80
ft-lbs) I hold the gun in my right hand, hold the socket in my left
hand (wearing my Mech-wear gloves) and quickly squeeze and release the
trigger.  I stop the spinning socket with my hand, and drop the lug on
the floor.  THAT is how powerful it is.

The axle nut on my car is torque to 132 ft-lbs.  A bit of a job, even
with the long torque wrench.  The IR 2131 scoffs at this.  I barely
get to press the trigger on this beast as it spins bolts off *so*
fast.  Better yet, I don't need the brakes held to get it off.

I can just imagine how ungodly working with one of their 3/4" drives
must be.

Personally, I think I'd be inclined to skip the mama-jama 3/4" wrench,
although that's a really good price for two IR tools.

Where did you get the $162 price, anyway?  That's darn good for a
not-sale price.  I thought the HF price of $159 was spectacular and
bought the damn gun before I had a compressor.  Kinda sat in the
garage making air tool noises to myself. ;D

Someone mentioned A&I... what's that?  I'm always on the lookout for a
new tool place. ;D

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@kns.com

UNIX is user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are!