Ingersoll-Rand 108 vs. 2131 impact wrenches

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ingersoll-Rand 108 vs. 2131 impact wrenches
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:08:11 -0800
Hi all,

I'm shopping for a new impact wrench, as my old one is nearly useless.  It's an
old Rockwell Int'l.  I don't know the spec's on it, but when it can't remove
lugnuts, it's time is up (are these things rebuildable?).

Anyway, I was leaning towards the IR2131, which is a 1/2" wrench, and 600 ft.
lbs.
The price is pretty good, at $162, and I think the last time it was discussed,
this wrench got a pretty good review from you guys.

However, I recently spied an IR tool bundle for sale: an IR 252 3/8" rachet and
IR 108 3/4" impact wrench for only $180.  Now, I don't have any 3/4" sockets,
but I figure I can always simply leave on a 3/4-1/2 adaptor (is that safe?),
and this impact boasts a much higher torque rating (750 ft lb...)

Which one of these would be the better choice?  I figure more/bigger is better,
but maybe I'm missing something.  The spec's, as far as I can gather, are listed
below.

Thanks,
Mike

3/4" AIR IMPACT WRENCH
  Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand
  Drive: 3/4"
  Torque range:100 to 500 ft. lbs.
  Blows per minute: 1200
  No load speed: 6500 RPM
  Bolt capacity: 1''
  Average air consumption: 7.5 CFM
  Air inlet: 3/8"
  Minimum hose size: 1/2"
  Tool weight8-3/4 lbs.

  Full power in reverse; 3 position adjustable power forward
  750 ft. lbs. maximum torque
  Handle exhaust
  Lightweight and easy to operate
  Oil bath lubrication for long life

3/8" AIR RATCHET WRENCH
  Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand
  Drive: 3/8"
  Maximum torque: 50 ft. lbs.
  Torque range: 10 to 45 ft. lbs.
  No load speed: 150 RPM
  Standard bolt capacity: 3/8"
  Average air consumption: 4 CFM
  Air inlet: 1/4"
  Minimum hose size: 5/16"
  Tool weight: 2-1/2 lbs.

  Ball and needle bearing construction for long service life
  Up to 50 ft. lbs. of torque
  Rear exhaust directs air away from your work
  Variable speed throttle

1/2" AIR IMPACT WRENCH
  Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand 2131
  Drive: 1/2"
  Maximum torque: 450 ft. lbs. forward, 600 ft. lbs. reverse
  Torque range: 50-400 ft. lbs.
  Impacts: 1250 BPM
  No load speed: 9500
  Air inlet: 1/4" NPT
  Overall length: 6-7/8"
  Tool weight: 4-1/2 lbs.
  Shipping weight: 5 lbs.
    This innovative design muscles out 600 ft. lbs. of reversing torque in a
    wrench only 4-1/2 lbs. Long life high power twin hammer design. Strong
    and light composite housing.

And to wet your whistle.......
1/2" SUPER DUTY HIGH POWERED AIR RATCHET WRENCH
  Manufacturer: Ingersoll-Rand
  Model Number: 1099
  Drive: 1/2''
  Maximum torque: 60 ft. lbs.
  Torque range: 10 to 60 ft. lbs.
  No load speed: 250 RPM
  Standard bolt capacity: 3/8"
  Average air consumption: 4 CFM
  Air inlet: 1/4" NPT
  Recommended hose size: 5/16"
  Tool weight: 3 lbs.
    Handles large bolts and fasteners. 360° rotational exhaust. Push button
throttle.