Re: Shop Tools

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Re: Shop Tools
From: John Napoli <jgn@li.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:17:48 -0400 (EDT)
I have had good experiences with them, but understand that whatever it is
I am buying is going to be third-tier quality.  Some of my tools are
Snap-On, some are the bread-and-butter brands, and a few things are Harbor
Freight.  It depends on what you need and for what.

I have not bought power tools from them.  I prefer older standard brands.
But as a class, the types of power tools that Harbor Freight sells -- and
there are several companies selling the same types of stuff -- are
knock-offs that are produced overseas, usually Taiwan.  The components
that comprise these machines are produced in little job shops.  One guy
makes pulleys, another beds, and so on.  A factory cobbles the
independently-produced parts into a product.

This means that there is a lot of variation.  You might end up with a
perfect machine, or maybe one that simply has out-of-round (or balance)
pulleys, or whatever.  Or even a disaster, comprised from parts each out
of tolerance in the same direction.

My advice is to buy tools like this for occasional or non-critical uses.
Or as an adjunct to fill specific voids in your shop (example: you've got
a great large drill press; what's wrong with buying a $90 table-top
special for those jobs it could handle?).   And, if all you do is make
bushing drivers, any lathe will do.

John