Re: Shop Tools

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Re: Shop Tools
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:51:27 -0400

I have no real machining background but having got involved in vintage
racing I found all kinds of "things" needed making or modifying that
could not be done with hand tools (at least not by me!)

I ended up buying a Taig Microlathe for three reasons -
        1 - it looked capable of doing what I wanted
        2 - it was cheap
        3 - it was small and portable.
All three proved to be good reasons.

I have made all kinds of little things from carb linkages, to fuel and
oil fittings, to spacers, to body mounting brackets - you name it. It
even did a good job of sizing wheel bearing spacers exactly to size
(+/- .001) and they were about 2" diam by 2-3" long. These were "on the
limit" but at least I got a job done which would have been impossible
otherwise.

The milling attachment may not be a "proper" a proper milling machine
but again it does the job when needed.

Cheap? Maybe good value is an even better description - but at less than
a good set of mikes I'm not complaining.

Portable? When not in use it goes back on the shelf. I've even taken it
in the back of the van on race weekends - and used it (for someone else
- was I popular!).

So to answer your question - I recommend you "Go for it" - you won't
regret it as long as you work within the limitations.

I got a Taig but I am sure much the same goes for Sheerline. The
Sheerline will do more (example screwcutting) but is more expensive and
possibly more oriented to small scale model making rather than small
parts for real sized machines.

Derek