Re: Shop Tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shop Tools
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:09:48 -0400
At 08:25 PM 4/15/98 -0500, Tony  Clark wrote:
>Nils,
>Enco @ 800 873 3626 prints a really nice catalog of import maching
>tools and supplies and it is a good reference book for what is
>available.  Machinist friends of mine admit that there are better
>tools but that the Enco machines are "good value" for the money.
>Tony

Found Harbor Freight on the Internet and have just looked at an Enco
catalog and I'm drooling all over the place !   I have a couple of
questions for any of you who have these machines.  Is there any substantial
difference between the low cost Enco's and the ones from Harbor Freight ?
It seems like I can get the same or slightly better specs machine from HF
for less money.

I'm considering some of the smallest ones (Milling/Drilling machines) from
Enco and two models from HF.  Seems for about an additional hundred bucks I
can get several improvements over the base model.
1- is a 2HP motor and or 110/220 motor a big improvement?
2- is a 4-1/2 inch column very much superior to a 3-1/2 inch one?
3- is a table travel of 12" sufficient or is 19-3/4 much better?
4- HF has a heavy duty 2 HP model on sale for $899 which is very appealing
as it appears to be about $300-$500 less than the comparable model from
Enco (big table / long travel / heave column / 2HP motor)  but it weighs
over 700 lbs (probably costs a fortune to ship, and then how to they get it
off the truck and how do I move this around to put it on top of the bench?

Anyone on the list have either one of these low end machines from Enco or
Harbor Freight?
Any advice I can get before I order would be greatly appreciated

Regards Nils