Re: Workbench Construction Question

To: msloane@att.net
Subject: Re: Workbench Construction Question
From: "Con P. Seitl" <Seitl@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 00:25:03 -0800
Mike Sloane wrote:

> Metal is pretty and clean, but I like wood because things don't slide around
> when you are trying to work with them and is more forgiving when you drop
> something heavy (like a head) on its corner.. I guess you could use a router
> on the front of the bench and make a little gutter that would run to a bucket
> at the end. I just keep a bunch of old rags around to soak up the mess and
> then discard them. I guess I will never pass the final exam, but that is the
> way I have been doing it for 40 years.
>
> Mike
>
> Con P. Seitl wrote:
>
> > John Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm building another workbench in my garage
> > > that will be used primarily for engine work.
> > > It's 8 foot by 22" deep and 34" high.
> > >
> > > Since its use is for engine assembly/disassembly,
> > > I'm considering having a sheet metal benchtop
> > > fabricated to cover the 1 1/2" thick plywood top.
> > > The plan would be to have a single sheet formed
> > > into a verticle back splash panel as well as
> > > covering the front edge of the plywood.
> > >
> > > If the metal fabricator can handle it, I'd like to
> > > see a 1/8" lip on the front that keeps parts/fluids
> > > on the bench and off the floor.
> > >
> > > Is this what others have done?
> > >
> > > Crude ascii sketch of the side profile follows:
> > >
> > >           lip
> > >            |                              |
> > >            v                              |     Back
> > > Front      ^-------------------------------
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > John;  Take a look at what your going to be doing on this bench, lots of
> > oil eh? The lip would serve to keep it off the floor, but then what?
> > You'll be stuck with alot of oil that you have to use rags or floor dry
> > on, very messy and expensive. I'd put a drain in the middle of the bench.
> > Only needs to be a 1/2" hole, maybe with a hose or funnel attached
> > underneath that goes into a plastic jug. You can scrape the oil to the
> > hole, and the mesh your going to put in the hole will catch any important
> > bits. Also, see if your buget will allow you to use at least 1/8" steel,
> > great for hammering on as well.
> >
> > Cheers, Con......
>
> --
> Mike Sloane
> Allamuchy NJ
> (msloane@att.net)Mike:

True, wood is more forgiving than steel. I have a steel top on part of my
workbench (3/8" thick) I've mounted a big vise on it, and welded to the
plate from underneath, I have a 1" square stock about 8" long. It's for
clamping my ground wire to when welding on the bench or in the vise. The
steel plate is great when pounding on some stubborn whatevers. My bench
is 22' long, all 2x6 construction, so I have plenty of room (when it's
cleared off) to do the delicate jobs. If I were to make a spot for engine
dissassembly, I think I would still go with my original idea. Having oily
rags around is a fire hazard, and they end up in the landfill, not really
PC these days, whereas a jug of used oil can be recycled. Don't get me
wrong, I still have plenty of oily rags, I do get rid of them within a
day or two, but I try to keep it to a minimum. You certainly won't get a
failing grade, not by this young whipper-snapper who's been at it for
alot less!

Regards,  Con.......