Workbench Construction Question

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Workbench Construction Question
From: johnm@ims.com (John Miller)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:42:24 -0800
I'm building another workbench in my garage
that will be used primarily for engine work.
It's 8 foot by 22" deep and 34" high.

Since its use is for engine assembly/disassembly,
I'm considering having a sheet metal benchtop
fabricated to cover the 1 1/2" thick plywood top.
The plan would be to have a single sheet formed
into a verticle back splash panel as well as
covering the front edge of the plywood.

If the metal fabricator can handle it, I'd like to
see a 1/8" lip on the front that keeps parts/fluids
on the bench and off the floor.

Is this what others have done?

Crude ascii sketch of the side profile follows:

          lip
           v                              |     Back

Thanks