RE: speed control

To: "'Bob Hamilton'" <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>,
Subject: RE: speed control
From: "Seippel, Jim J" <Jim.Seippel@siemenscom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:10:43 -0800
FWIW, the DAF Daffodil used 2 belts, one for each rear axle. They used a
variable pulley system to control the drive ratio. It was called the
"Variomatic". Very smooth and  very slow. The DAF had only 600 and 750cc
sedans. They were powered by a air cooled 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine.
The transmission was described as a continuously variable transmission.
Reverse was handled by a dog clutch in the primary gear case. Volvo
wound up taking over production and the DAF became the Volvo 66.

There is a Volvo web page that explains the mechanism in more detail.
The URL is  http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo/prof_cvt.htm .

I actually worked on three or four of these cars back in the '60s. They
were interesting technically but they didn't have any personality.

Best regards,
A.J. (Jim) Seippel
jim.seippel@siemenscom.com