Re: Solvents for parts washer

To: Simon Young & Heidi Millton-Young <Mothra@onaustralia.com.au>
Subject: Re: Solvents for parts washer
From: "David P. Anderson" <davidp@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 05:02:41 -0700
Simon Young & Heidi Millton-Young wrote:

>         Sorry Brian but there seems to be no ideal solvent.

Snip.       As an aside, one very experienced workmate insisted on
dumping a quart of

> auto trans fluid in the parts washer with the fresh solvent.  The
> fresh
> mineral spirit will dry your hands pretty quickly and he claims the
> ATF
> helps keep the hands moistened, me, I like gloves.
>

>  Simon,

   The problem with using transmission fluid, especially the "Dexron"
kind, is its toxicity. There is definite proof that even occasional
exposure for moderately extended times, ( I had the numbers once, but
have since lost them ) causes cancer. Especially when suspended in a
media like kerosene that improves its ability to penetrate the skin.

    A lot of the stuff we use around the shop can be dangerous, and for
the most part its no big deal, if you take precautions. Its what you
don't know about that gets ya!  After all, my dad used to wash his hands
every day at work with carbon tetrachloride, every body did.

Dave
--
"The price of freedom of religion or of speech or of the press is that
we must put up with, and even pay for, a good deal of rubbish."