FW: Emergency kit

To: shop-talk
Subject: FW: Emergency kit
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:58:54 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Chiahotny
David <David_Chiahotny@dofasco.ca>]]

     Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:05:00 -0400
     From: Chiahotny David <David_Chiahotny@dofasco.ca>
     Subject: Emergency kit

Perhaps my experience has been different than most,
but my breakdowns which have occurred are not the
ones most of us would foresee.   I once had a universal
joint fail and wear through the yoke it was attached to.
This was about 6,000 miles into an 8000 mile cross
continent trip in a TR6.  I have had a can of oil which had
sat on a shelf too long, which plugged the oil passages
to the rockers leading to valve stem mushrooming also
in the TR6.  I have had the alternator fail on my E-type
in Central Iowa on day 2 of a 3 day drive (and a 2 week
vacation).  I have had a fan belt fail in a Chrysler product
about 30 miles from home (I didn't do the regular checks
on it).  I have come across others who have lost a wheel
on a trailer,  broke a throttle cable on an MGA, had a
failed fuel pump on an MGA and also a TR6.  Once I
came across acar upside down in the middle of the
highway with the 2 (previous) occupants desperately
trying to flag traffic away from their hazard
at midnight.

Belts and hoses rarely fail if inspected and replaced when
wear is evident.
I usually carry a full complement of tools - wrenches, pliers,
screwdrivers,tape, wire, electrical meter, spare tire, jack,
flares, first aid kit, disposable coveralls whenever I leave
town.  Other than that, I use ingenuity.  If you need a rag
badly, a T-shirt will do in a pinch - no big loss if you ruin
it, You can drive at highway speeds without a fan,
 (but you may need something to run the water pump).
You can run without an alternator for about 7 to 10 hours
if you keep electrical loads down (no headlights, no
heater fans) and your battery was fully charged at the time of failure.
Disconnect the failed alternator to prevent it from discharging the
battery.
I guess you get the idea.  And don't forget, most people are willing to
help if you are in dire straights on a trip.  Ask at any roadside
business, cafe, garage, or motel for use of a phone, or auto club numbers etc.