Dream Shop

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Dream Shop
From: Robert Shane <robs@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 96 22:30 PST
Hi All:
In regards to Henry's question on dream shop,I've done mine(well started
it)3 years ago.I did a lot of research
into putting a pit in (have worked in shops that had them)and found that if
getting it inspected,no way would
it pass (at least in my area).So I leaned towords a hoist,both in ground and
post type.For me the hassle of
having posts taking up space all the time made me choose the in ground
type.I was quit surprised to find that
you can get second hand hoists from garages (gas stations changing to
convenience stores),and a lot of times if
your timing is good you can get them for free if you remove them (the price
of a Backhoe for 1-2 hours).I
bought mine off someone who sold new ones(second hand one for $600) "because
my timing isn't good".When putting
one in a new building if done in the right order, it's not that
expensive!!!I also found that there was no
bylaws that said I couldn't do it(it was passed after I assured them I was
an electrician and not a mechanic).
Any how the whole add cost of the hoist to the shop was about $1000 and was
quite easy to install(did it myself
with the help of the crane that brought my trusses).The shop is made out of
block and is 30x30 with two 10X10
overhead doors and two 4x6 windows(can't beat natural light).If any one
would like more detailed info please
write me , sorry for being so long winded (am a little new at this).
RRS