Re: [oletrucks] Still having TF power brake problems - any

To: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Still having TF power brake problems - any
From: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:13:10 -0500
FWIW.

I had a very similar problem on my 57 1/2 ton with all stock wheels/brakes.
In retrospect, I think the problem most likely had to do with the rebuild I
did on the brake system.

Truck never had very good brakes, but I was careful and drove within the
limits.  First failure occurred when right rear wheel cylinder began to
leak.  Replace with part from Auto zone and cleaned up the rest of the
pieces on that wheel.  Brakes still sucked.

Several years later I decided to redo all brakes because I was driving the
truck more.  I bought new cylinder for left rear and new drums/brakes plus a
few springs etc at NAPA.  Next I bought stuff for the front and fixed them.
Noticed some pulling (don't recall which way) and decided best thing would
be to put new cylinder on right rear.  Purchased from Auto Zone or Bumper to
Bumper.  Still pulled.

Hindsight tells me that my mistake involved mixing parts from several parts
houses.  I think the wheel cylinders should probably all be purchased  from
same vendor.  I believe there may be differneces in the cylinders that
causes uneven braking.

In my case, I am fairly certain the rear brakes were causing the pull.

Might consider buying another wheel cylinder from the same vendor so that
they are matched.

My truck is in middle of frame-off so I haven't dealt with brakes in a
while.  Let me know how you fix it because I'll have to deal with the same
problem eventually.