Re: [oletrucks] Still having TF power brake problems - any

To: "trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Still having TF power brake problems - any
From: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:56:51 -0700
> Test drove truck and it STILL pulls to the right during hard braking.
> Almost feels like the rear brakes are trying to move the truck to the right.
>   Do I need a proportioning valve to keep the rear brakes from engaging too
> early?  I'm about ready to chuck it all and put in an IFS and Ford 9 inch
> rear end with disk brakes all around.  Am I overlooking something?  Any
> advice appreciated, sorry for the lengthy story but thought if I put the
> details in it would save a bunch of questions later.

So it doesn't have a proportioning valve right now?  Its not really
necessary if you don't have one, but I was wondering....I don't know
how feasible this is, I'd have to see how the kit is set up, but is it
possible they didn't route the lines correctly?  Front brake side ran
to the right side, rear break outlet ran to the left side.  This would
be hard to believe....but just a suggestion.

Drum fronts are finicky, to say the least.  If it pulls to the right,
it has to do with the front brakes.  Did they do the front brake
shoes at the same time?  Did they turn the drums or replace the
drums?  If they turned the drums, I would have them re-turned by
someone that is good with the older cars/trucks, because if you
don't make sure they are at the same inner diameter, it will cause
this kind of reaction.

Make sure your front wheel cylinders aren't leaking....might not
hurt to blead them some more.  I find it hard to believe its
that hard to blead any brake system with all the tools and hands
a shop should have, but then, I wasn't there.  Worse case, sometimes
you can remove pulling by adjusting up the opposite side its
pulling.  IE, pulls right, adjust the left side. This is a last resort,
because most of the time if you have a pull, something else is wrong
(assuming they were adjusted correctly the first time).

Hope this helps.

Ryan
rlangford@attbi.com