Re: [oletrucks] neighborhood Nazi's

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] neighborhood Nazi's
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:43:07 EST
I'm afraid this one caught me too, although in my case it was a
reinterpretation of the neighborhood covenants that got me.  The
reinterpretation happened after most of the original crowd had moved on and a
younger yuppie and family crowd moved in.  The rules were originally written
to avoid vehicles on blocks in the yard; the reinterpretation is that any
non-running, non-current registration vehicles are not acceptable.  The
tendency to reinterpret according to the current social norms is what bothers
me. . .and guys, in case you haven't noticed, we are not "normal".

I finally had to move my Chevy Sub to my brother Brian's (the GMC was already
there), which means that I can rarely go work on it. . .which is why Brian
will take care of the bodywork for me and we'll put the frame/drivetrain in
my third bay garage. . .out of sight of the militants.

Brian has a minifarm in middle Tennessee and so the laws for that are pretty
lax. . .for now.  Agricultural zoning generally lets you have multiple
nonrunning vehicles.  They are now getting serious encroachment with new
neighborhoods growing up around them, and I expect that he will eventually
have problems too.

Forme, there's no real solution except to eventually move somewhere else,
checking on the local laws, and going for someplace zoned agricultural.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban 2wd 350 V8 3speed w/OD in progress
59 GMC Suburban V8/Hydramatic looking for a 1/2 ton NAPCO kit  and a V8,
destined for straight stock resto