Re: Wiring harnesses

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring harnesses
From: "James Nazarian Jr" <james.nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:22:30 -0600
Cc: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well this is a decent suggestion, but I have created a modular harness
(rear, dash, front) with single load circuits (one thing on each fuse).
The labeling might be a decent feature but each section of harness is on a
22" x 24" sheet with a seperate page for the fuse panel to harness wires.
All that is lacking is to assign a color to each wire.

What I have arranged with world wide wire is 100' of 25 different colors of
primary wire, 20' 4ga battery cable, 100' spiral wrap for the harness, and
100' fiberglass/ silicone resin sheilding for $170.  This should be enough
to wire two cars, but I wouldn't mind having the extra gear.

Like I said, I am doing this as much for the challenge as for the car.
(Damn overacheiving engineers).  I have been working on and off on this
harness for three years (started long before the car) and it has gone
through more than a dozen revisions, so I am also confident that it will
work correctly.  Thanks for the alternative suggestions, but I am too damn
stubborn to change the plan now; besides, building the harness gives me
something to do when I am too lazy to go to the barn and work on the car.

James Nazarian
71 B Roadster
71 BGT

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari

----------
<James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
> Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> Subject: RE: Wiring harnesses
> Date: Monday, October 02, 2000 8:44 PM
>
> James, some time ago Jim S suggested to me I check out Ron Francis' Wire
Works
> (See Jim, I do listen).  Although I haven't re-wired my car I did call
and
> request a catalog.  They have anything and everything you need.  You
might give
> them a call at 1 800 292-1940.
>
> I don't know about World Wide Wire, but the systems I've seen, label each
wire,
> from end to end.  (not just the end, but all along the way).  I would
make sure
> that no matter who you buy from they have this feature.
>
> I'm not sure I explained that right.  For instance, the right turn signal
wire
> would say "right turn signal" over and over again all the way along the
wire.
> After troublshooting the MG tangle many times this seems like a great
idea.  Of
> course if there aren't any splices it may be a feature you never
use???!!!

> Larry Hoy

Lucas
> >as possible.
> >
> >In both cases, I started with a street rod wiring harness, 21 fuse, 23
> >circuits, colored, printed wire. That is each wire is terminated at the
fuse
> >block by the factory & is printed every 6 or 8" with the circuit name
such as
> >left rear turn signal, electric choke, fan, etc. The fuse blocks use GM
style
> >plug in fuses. The theory is that you mount the fuse block in the ideal
> >location, then route the wires in an organized fashion to the particular
> >components.
> >
> >Expect to pay from $200-350.00, mine were under $250.00. This is much
faster
> >and much simpler than designing your own harness. The product from
American