Re: [Mg-t] Air Cleaner Compensation

To: lkarpman@tx.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Air Cleaner Compensation
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:00:22 -0400
Larry,
   That may or may not be true, but it doesn't seem necessary to me.
   If the air passage in the AC is 3/8" and the diameter of the inner
wall of the AC is 7" diameter, then there is roughly 8.25 sq inches of
space for the air to flow through.  1.25" carb  has, fully open, 3.925 sq
inches x two carbs is 7.85 sq inches, so it looks to me that there is
more room for air to pass through the AC than through the carbs. There is
sure to be some resistance to air flow through the filter medium, but
then we are rarely at wide open throttle.
   But the real test is the usual lifting of the piston test. Look for a
hole where the lifting pin would be fitted if it were fitted (it's not
fitted in TDs but the hole is usually there), stick in a wire and see
what happens.
   Let us know what you learn.
Bob

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:30:46 -0500 "Lawrence Karpman"
<lkarpman@tx.rr.com> writes:
> I've read in several places that on the late TD with the oil bath air
>
> cleaner, that the mixture should be leaned out a flat or two after
> carb
> tuning to compensate for the reduced air flow of the oil bath
> cleaner which,
> after it is re-installed, will result in the mixture being too
> rich.
>
> I know some of these air cleaner tops are mashed down from
> overtightening,
> but mine is not. I'd appreciate the thoughts of the group.
>
> TIA
>
> Larry
Click here to find the right business program for you and take your career to
the next level.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTESUUhlHEMiMXWtn5lnRtYpXviwXTjgNkypPrP1ac8sovy36uC2gY/