Re: [Mg-t] Solid State Fuel Pump

To: "Stuart C. Keen, Jr." <simbafish@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Solid State Fuel Pump
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:19:02 -0700
Stuart - See my article Backup Fuel Pump at:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/ for the part number of Both the
Facet pump and the Carter pump.  That said, I don't think that you will
see much improvement with that pump in the back of the car.  Granted,
classical vapor lock is in the fuel line on the vacuum (inlet) side of
the pump when the pump is in the engine compartment, but that is not
where the problem usually exists in the T series cars.  The problem
usually develops in the passage from the bottom of the float bowl to the
jet in the carburetor body (along the arm of the float bowl).  When the
engine is shut down after the car has been driven for a period of time
in a hot ambient temperature, the temperature rises quite dramatically
in the engine compartment because there is no air flow through there to
carry the heat away.  As you have noted, the heat shield doesn't help a
great amount in this situation because there of the above situation and
the fuel in that passage will expand as a minimum or vaporize in the
worst case, causing pressure on the bottom of the float, keeping the
needle valve shut off.  This situation is exacerbated by today's
formulation of fuel with ethanol and/or other highly volatile
additives.  One way to clear the problem (and the way I found out where
the problem was) is to depress the tickler pin on the lid of the float
bowl (if you still have on on yours), until the pressure finally pushes
past the float.  The other (more practical) way to clear the problem is
to pull the choke out after starting the engine - just be ready to push
it back in quickly as once the problem clears, the engine will race very
quickly, going right up to read line (if one existed on our
tachometers).  With todays fuels, this problem continues to get worse,
with no easy cures for it, unless one resorts to the method used in the
50s and early 60s of removing the side panels of the bonnet and
strapping the top panels down during hot weather.  Cheers - Dave