Re: TF rear axle ratios/GPS/Cruising speed

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: TF rear axle ratios/GPS/Cruising speed
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:26:36 -0400
Bob D.,
   I try to cruise at 3300-3500 rpm. The engine seems to run smoothly and
happily there and, until recently, it was fast enough with my gearing to
unduly avoid obstructing overtaking traffic.  Now that the legal limit is
65 in CT and the usual travel speed is in excess of 75, I am resigned to
driving on the highways the few hours a day that traffic is light.  My
Toyota pickup turns its 2.4L engine 2500 rpm at 70 mph.
   The 2500 ft/min rule for piston speed has been around since the 1930s
I know and the 1920s I guess. For our TD and other XPAG engines, and
those with 90mm stroke, it's near 4M rpm.  The idea is that it's a
maximum sustainable piston speed above which engine wear is increased
rapidly.  An interesting exercise would be to work it out for different
engines and to compare the RPM for them.
    September 2003 issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars has an article
on the Bugatti type 35 engine. Its first iteration had 60 mm bore (same
as XPAG) and 88 mm stroke (XPAG is 90). The article does not mention max
RPM, but my recollection is that they were, max, 5M engines.
Bob