Re: Painting Information

To: "Chuck Hull" <chull@pacbell.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Painting Information
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:47:41 -0000
Hi Chuck,
At the present time I am preparing my TF for painting, but I suppose I have
an advantage in that I also painted my TD which was the first car I had
given a full repaint. The best advice I can give you is that you will learn
little from books as it is a manual skill applied with a little knowledge
and loads of practice.

Go down to your paint supplier and ask for advice or even to a local paint
shop. I chose Cellulose Paint as it is much more forgiving than the modern 2
pack as well as being less hazardous to health. If you make a mistake like
applying too much paint and ending up with a run you can rub it down and
start again with Cellulose, I am not sure you can do it with 2pack.

One thing I have learned the hard way is that preparation is everything. The
preparation is much more difficult than spraying a nice finish. Before you
put the top coat on the surface should be without blemish.

Choose one manufacturers paint system and stick with it. Practice and
practice some more!!.

Good Luck,
David Tinker. Wales UK