Re: questions on skinning a PA tub

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions on skinning a PA tub
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:30:28 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don

What I #think# were original panels were just formed in about 1/2" under the
body rail and similarly into the door opening. I was happy to copy this 'cos
it's easy to do - as noted by someone else, the factory wouldn't go the hard
way unless there was a really good reason.

Before we skinned our J2, the wood had two coats of anti-borer (Cuprinol, I
think it was called), then two coats of polyurethane varnish. Maybe a bit
over the top, but the original body wood was both rotten and full of
woodworm - mind you they must have been tough little brutes, what with the
vibration, oil fumes and carbon monoxide!

The skin was primed and top-coated on the inside after forming, then just
pushed back on and tacked. All the underbody was undersealed, so no wood
shows.

Was it all necessary? I really don't know. After thirty years the body looks
just the same (which is a bit embarassing at times when I look at the panel
work I did in those days), but then the car's been in Sydney all that time.
Snow here makes major headlines and even rain has been limited in the last
few years.

Very soon I have to decide if I'll go to the same lengths on the TC body
skin . . .

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC