Engine # 1528A135P

To: "MMM List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine # 1528A135P
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:15:26 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I have encountered an anomaly I cannot explain.

The engine I have in the PB Airline (PB0560) is numbered 1528A 135P,
which is clearly not the original engine for the car. The guarantee
plate says it should be 813APB. The engine I have would seem be listed
on the register as belonging to PA1260. However, there are a number of
things that do not jive:

1)       PA1260 (according to the Terry Andrews article (1982 MMM
Yearbook) was built in July 1934. However, the block I have has a
casting date (see attachment) of 4 OCT 1935.

2)       1528A135P would indicate that it is a single breather block,
yet it is clearly a double breather. I believe that PA1260 would have
originally been fitted with a single breather block.

3)       The bore is currently 60 mm and the pistons are marked STD.

4)       There is no evidence whatsoever that the engine number has been
overstamped or otherwise altered.

5)       There were traces of green paint found on the block and PA1260
is listed a 4-seater. I know 4-seater engines were painted green, but do
we know the color of engines destined for Airline Coupes?

Is it possible that PA1260 had an engine transplant done by the factory
with a PB block and then stamped using the original engine number? Does
anyone have an alternate explanation?

This one really has me stumped.

Regards,

Lew Palmer

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Engine1528A135P.jpg]