Re: Towing vehicles?

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Towing vehicles?
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonw@up.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:08:01 -0500
For a long time I've thought about what'd be the best hauler to get to
and from the races, and for vacations, too.  Considering the cost of
RVs and pickups, I'd:

Get something around the size of a C6500 GMC or Ford F700 chassis cab
with long wheelbase and have one of the conversion companies put a
combination of sleeper/camper arrangement ( about 15-18 feet'd be
plenty) with another 8-10' of cargo space in the back for the race bike
and maybe a four-wheeler ATV (to fetch the bike to start line and back
from the end of the course).  6-cylinder diesel engine - 225 hp is
plenty, I know from my use of trucks these size in my business, and an
auto trans. so Nancy can drive and so my left leg doesn't get tired in
traffic.  There'd be plenty of power in that combination to hitch a car
or small pickup to the back for going to the parts store or to supper.

And the total cost of the truck (less conversion) would be the same or
less than the cost of today's fancy/shmancy pickup truck ($40k or so
would do it fine), and I'd have a truck that's built down from a big
truck, not up from a small one.  Brakes, driveline, chassis, and so on
-- all would be sized to do man's work, not suburban grocery-getter
duty.  The chassis would last for a couple of hundred thousand miles
without undue maintenance.

The conversion would add something like $75k, I expect, but hey -- it's
only money.

Jon
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
'Way up north in Marquette, Michigan