Re: Interesting results from last event

To: gbeaird@io.com, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interesting results from last event
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:33:40 EST
I'll take a shot at this one, Gene.

A program such as GEEZ can only interpret what the hardware
tells it, and it is possible to get the hardware confused.

To determine end speed, what GEEZ basically does is calculate
rates of acceleration against time, and subtract rates of deceleration
against time.  A basic concept, how much you speed up, minus
how much you slow down.

Unrealistically high ending speeds can often be the result of
excessive yaw that happens during a run.  Call it sliding sideways
while scrubbing off speed.  The G-Cube sends out the information
that you are cornering for much longer than you really are, and
because the cube does not sense fore/aft decelerations, the software
won't see you slow down.  Byron has used the term "hockey stop (tm)"
to describe such a loss of momentum.

Come off of a corner that you slid sideways into, and GEEZ has only
done what it has been told: Record accel. to a higher speed after a really
hard corner, which was taken without much braking.

Maps from runs like that are often quite twisty when compared to
the actual layout, even having curls like a 360 when it was in reality
a 180.

Does this relate to the actual run?

Alan Sheidler